Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Seasons

Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

Occasionally I get asked what my favorite season is. Almost immediately I say fall. I love the vibrant colors, the sound of leaves crunching beneath my feet, the smell of fires returning to fireplaces. I even begin to enjoy the days growing shorter. I love to return home at dusk, driving by homes with lights on, catching a glimpse of the daily routines of my neighbors. Fall is a great time of year.

But right now, it is spring outside and I have to say, spring comes in a close second as far as favories go. I love to watch the rivers that form in the gutters as the snow melts. I love to hear the water as it trickles down landing in an unseen world with a constant, quiet tinkle. I love to grow accustomed once again to being awoken by the songs of birds in the morning. I love to watch as God carefully creates explosions of colors as trees bloom and flowers open. I love the drama of spring.

I think I like these two seasons so much because during them, it is obvious that God loves beauty. He paints with a patient brush, slowly filing in the color on the trees, first a little, then a little more, until finally the lush green leaves glisten in the sun. Every year, I wonder at the fact that God could make a living thing that is able to grow and blossom and make its' own food in the spring, summer and fall, then withstand the harsh and bitter cold of winter, without so much as a coat. How does he do it? I can feel God's presence in the spring and I find that very comforting.

I know that we all have favorite seasons. But somehow, I think that God's brilliance is found in his variety. When we move into spring from winter, I appreciate the sun's warmth anew each year. But the crisp cool days of fall are so welcome after the hot humid summer months. The contrast increases my awareness.

Sometimes I wonder if God does this with blessings too. In the times when I am struggling, I get so frustrated with God. I want to scream at him to fix things. When things even out and feel okay again, I praise him for his grace and wisdom. Does he allow these contrasts to remind me he is there? In the hard times, I call on him. I feel his presence. When things are going well, I sometimes skate along, without noticing all he does for me everyday. Maybe I need those speed bumps to remind me who is in control.

Solomon says, "for everything there is a season." What season of life are you in now? Do you feel God's presence? I am going to try to rejoice in each season, good and bad, summer and winter, spring and fall, for in these seasons, God has made his presence known to me.


Heavenly Father,

You have blessed us with so many seasons. You give us birth, life and death; grief and joy, summer and fall. Thank you for bringing us near to you through our experiences. Help us to rejoice through these seasons. Help us find wonder in your workmanship, faith in your workmanship and peace in your beauty. Help us to find you in our everyday experiences, good and bad.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment