Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Only God is Awesome


Psalm 89:7
In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared;
he is more awesome than all who surround him.

I have the great joy of working with young children and their families. Almost inevitably, I learn as much from them as they do from me.

One of the first families I worked with had three boys. The older boys loved watching me work with their younger brother.

One day, Kenny, the middle child, told me a story. Half listening while I worked, I responded, "That's awesome, Kenny." He looked at me a while and then replied, "Actually, Miss Amanda, only God is awesome."

That was 12 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I think we try to make God smaller than he is. We shrink him to a comfortable size that can fit into our realm of understanding. We try to put him in a box so that we can keep him the the right part of our lives. We forget that he is so great, so huge, so awesome that he can't be contained!

Another thing we do is to try to elevate earthly things to God's awesomeness. I frequently tell my kids that their drawings are awesome. Let's be honest. They are not. They are beautiful, sweet, precious, priceless. But awesome is bigger.

Awesome is God. When we call the latest movie, resaurant or car awesome, we are comparing them to the incomparable. Somehow, this belittles his greatness. No wonder we spend so much energy chasing money, fame and security. We have lost perspective on what is truly awesome.

When we give God, the honor he is due, when we recognize how truly awesome he is we will be able to look past our earthly concerns and focus on him, our Lord and Savior.


Awesome God,
You are truly great and we are inignificant in comparison. Help us to remember how great and wonderful you are. Help us to focus on you rather than the things of this world. We love you, Lord and Saviour.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment