Friday, March 13, 2009

Community


Acts 2:46-47
Everyday they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all people.

I am amazed by the faithfulness and community present in the early church. They gathered together to worship, eat and socialize. They had a community I am jealous of. They cherished their time together.
In today’s church, we are almost the opposite. We are given an amazing gift, the opportunity to gather freely to worship our Lord. Yet it is often difficult to get to church on Sundays. When we get there, we focus on the argument we had before we left the house or we worry about how we’ll get everything done in time to be ready for the week. We don’t cherish our time together, we barely even focus on it.
I wish I were better able to leave the outside world behind and gather with other believers, focusing only on the precious word of God and cherishing our time together. I know it would make me a stronger Christian and a better person. I know I would feel less anxious when life crashes into me. I know I would feel less lonely when things feel out of control.
Jesus tells us not to focus on the things of this world. He encourages us instead to be rich in our love of God. We show our love of God be serving and being in fellowship with others.
I worry about finding time to get everything done and seldom find time for serving others. I don’t think it will fit into my schedule. I have, however, found time to serve occasionally. I especially enjoy working with PADS, a homeless shelter. I am amazed that during my time serving there, I am nurtured so much. Serving at PADS provides a new perspective on life. It helps me see that I am richly blessed in material things. It also allows me to see that those who have much less me in material goods are light years ahead of me spiritually.

I believe that we find God in fellowship with others. I am also sure that we find God in serving others. God wants us to live in toegether with other Christians. Our relationship with those around us provides a picture of God’s love for the world to see. God wants to be in fellowship with us, so we must be in fellowship with one another.

Heavenly Father,
You created us to live in fellowship with one another. You have taught us that our role on this earth is to love you and serve others. Help us take time to love others in the midst of our busy schedules, for we know that where two or more are gathered in your name, you are there also. Thank you for your presence with us.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment