Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made


Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

When I was a kid, I had a t-shirt that said, “I must be special, because God don’t make no junk.” Looking past the horrible grammar, this t-shirt is as profound as it is funny. Unfortunately the wisdom I had at eight years old is lost on me at 34.

Like many people, I have trouble seeing the beauty and brilliance in God’s design when it comes to me. I can look at the trees and see their beauty. I can look at the stars and see their brilliance. I can look at my children and see their innocence. I can look at myself and see only my flaws.

I forget that I am made just the way God intended. My gifts are his creation. My flaws are insignificant in his eyes. He has a plan for me. Each of my attributes was chosen with care and thoughtfulness, like a painter chooses his palette.

Unfortunately, I can’t see his finished product. I can’t accept his gifts with gratitude. Of course I’m grateful for the blessings in my life, my husband, children, job, etc. But I fail to be grateful for the individual attributes he chose to make me me.

I frequently say negative things about myself. A small mistake results in an, “I am so stupid.” A difficult situation is “entirely my fault.” My appearance is never quite good enough and my belongings are not new enough. I spend so much time focusing on what is not good enough for me, that I can’t praise God for what’s wonderful in my life.

I am going to praise God’s creation. I am going to recognize the beauty in myself. When I begin to focus on my flaws, I am going to remember that God don’t make no junk.



Creator God,

You have made us in your image. Of all your creations, we are the crowing glory. Help us to recognize your hand in our gifts and in our flaws. Help us to focus our attention on your plan for us, rather than our imperfections. In all we do, help us do it for your glory.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment