Monday, March 9, 2009

God With Us



Leviticus 26:12
I will walk among you and I will be your God and you will be my people.

I think one of the most precious gifts we can give one another is our time. Given the opportunity, my girls would almost always rather spend time with me than do anything else. Being in each other’s presence is powerful. That’s why it I so amazing that God cam to earth to live with us and be one of us. He spent 33 years walking among us, feeling our emotions and learning what it is like to be human.

I kind of relate it to me visiting my daughters’ schools. I love to go volunteer because I get to see them learn, meet their friends, see their teachers teach, eat snack, whatever. I love it. I know cognitively what school is like, but I love to make the emotional connection. When I’m in the classroom, I know what it feels like during circle time or center time.

Volunteering at school is different than Jesus’ time on earth. When I go to school, I help out and observe. Jesus actually lived here. For me, that brings comfort. God loves me so much that he wants to know me. He sacrificed his heavenly home to spend time here, getting to know us.

I have worked with families of children for ten years. The first four I didn’t have children. I gave advice, problem solved and left feeling I had done a great job. Then I had children and had so much more to offer. I could give parents my personal experiences. I could have compassion for their sleepless nights and short patience. In short, I could understand. How nice it is that God understands us because he’s been here.

When I’m angry, I can pray, “Remember the temple, Jesus?” When I’m hurt, I cry, “Remember Judas?” When I’m joyful, I say, “Remember the wedding at Canna?”

God came here to live with us and know us. He came to show he cared. Now we can know him.



Lord Jesus,
Thank you for humbling yourself to walk among us. Thank you for feeling our emotions, learning our ways and spending time with us. Help us to give our time to others as you have to us.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment