Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Silver and Gold


Matthew 19:26
Jesus said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

I have a hard time trusting Jesus here. Not that I don’t believe that everything he said was true, I do. I just can’t comprehend it. I know he made the world, created all life, imagined the stars and painted the rainbows. I know he healed the sick, walked on water and changed water to wine. So I don’t know why I can’t accept that he can heal my daughter’s cough.

I guess I imagine that Jesus’ power was greater when he was on earth than it is now. I mean he was here. He could touch things and BAM! Miracle. That makes sense. But praying to an unseen God, who doesn’t walk on earth anymore, and asking him for a miracle, seems silly. He’s not going to lay his hands on Britta and soothe her. Yet, maybe he will. All the miracles in the Bible were preceded by faith. Whoever asked for a miracle truly believed it would happen. Maybe that’s what I’m lacking, strong faith.

God can do anything. Think about it. If Jesus was powerful here on earth, how could he become less powerful in heaven? That just doesn’t make sense to me. He didn’t become less God when he ascended into heaven. When he returns, He will be in his full glory, which means more powerful. His powers are no longer limited by his human body. So when I pray, I can be confident of his ability to do what I ask.

I recently heard a saying that I am going to cling to. “Why pray for silver when God can give you gold?” Seriously, I am going to pray for GOLD! I may not get it, but that’s for God to decide. He knows the end of the story. He knows where we go from here. He knows what I need to learn for later. He is perfecting me through my experiences. When God does not seem to answer my prayers, it’s not because he can’t, he just didn’t. I’d be pretty selfish to assume that all my needs should be met as I see fit. Instead, I’ll pray for gold and ask God to help me accept silver.


Powerful God,

You are amazing. Your power is beyond my understanding. Thank you for all the prayers you have answered. Please help me to accept the answers you have sent. Help me see the beauty in silver. Help me to trust that your plan is great. You are amazing God!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment