Monday, March 16, 2009

Name


2 Chronicles 7:14
Then if my people, who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive them their sins and restore their land.

Names are so important. When I was pregnant, I struggled over each child’s name. I wanted it to be strong, yet pretty, unique, yet classic. I wanted it to have meaning. I finally chose three beautiful names. Hopefully my girls will agree about that as they age.

What name we are called is important. As children, we were called so many names. The negative ones tore us down: loser, nerd, stupid, ugly, the list is long. Each repetition of a name strengthens our identification. Each time I was called a nerd, I became more ashamed of my love of books and learning. I longed to be popular, so that I wouldn’t be such an embarrassing nerd. Yet even the more positive names such as smart, pretty, strong and popular come with great pressure. Suddenly, the struggle to continue to live up to that name begins. It’s hard to be yourself when a small slip may result in a plummet from your social status. As adults, many of us still live under the names we were called at seven or at seventeen.

Luckily, God tells us that we are called by his name. He wants us to bear his identity. I grew up in a small town where everything you did reflected on your family. To do something great honored you and all who shared your name. Being called by God’s name is a blessing, but it is also a responsibility because now everything that we do reflects on God. Bing called a Christian should bring us great pride. However, for many people, the name Christian brings to min an angry, judgmental and hypocritical person. Does that reflect Jesus?

What characteristics are worthy of Jesus’ name? Paul lists them as the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. If w live with these qualities, we will bring honor to Jesus’ name. In my life, I pray for the strength to make everything I do reflect well on Jesus and his name.

Dear Jesus,
Your name is so powerful and precious, yet we often do things that fail to bring you glory. Help us to remember that as your children, all we do reflects on you. Help us to bring glory and honor to your name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment