Monday, February 9, 2009

We are God's Masterpiece



Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus so we can do the good things he planned for long ago.


I am a knitter. I love to take a couple of needles and a ball of yarn and create a beautiful and useful sweater, blanket or dress. When I look at the yarn at the beginning of a project, I can anticipate what the finished project will look like. I can see its color, texture, size, everything. Then I slowly knit and purl until I end up with a finished product I am proud of. Sometimes, more often than I’d like, I have to tear out stitches or rows. If I don’t, the sweater won’t fit, or the blanket will unravel. This is a painful, but necessary step in the process. However, when I am finished, I stand back in awe of what I’ve created. Each project is amazing, but I have one or two favorites, one or two masterpieces.
In Ephesians, Paul tells us that we are all God’s masterpiece. I love this image. I see God waving a paintbrush to add the finishing touches. Imagine, “Here are her brown eyes. Here is a patient heart. And finally, the love of words. Ta da! Completion. I am so proud.” He created me with a purpose. He equipped me with everything I need to succeed.
Most days I don’t feel like a masterpiece. I get wrapped up in all the ins and outs of life and forget that God has a plan for me. I lose track of His call and focus instead on myself. Somehow, I usually get back on track and I imagine God ripping out the stitches, so that the sweater won’t unravel. My little tangents are like dropped stitches that God needs to pick up and weave in again.
I know one of God’s plans for me is to raise my children to know God and His love for them. However, some days I just don’t show them God’s love the way I planned. I get caught up in the arguing and hurrying and I unravel. I yell back at them, rather than patiently guiding them to a resolution. At these moments, I realize I can’t do it alone, and I don’t have to. See God is with me all along. He wants me to succeed and his hand will guide me. I only have to take it. On these days, I try to stop, pray and grab on as he delicately picks up the stitches and completes me, his masterpiece.


Creator God,
We praise you for making us in your image, a masterpiece to do your work on earth. Please help us to remember that you have a plan for us. Continue to pick us up when we stray and put us back on the right path, so that when the masterpiece is done, you can step back and be proud of us.

Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda - This is exactly what I needed today. Thank you. Wonderfully written and very inspirational.

    Amanda Norris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad this was meaningful to you. Feel free to pass it on!

    I miss you.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Amanda! This was a great devotion and a wonderful idea to blog!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great idea Amanda! And I am totally into the knitting comparison! I look forward to your next entries! Way to answer God's calling. Whoo Hoo!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete