Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Forgiveness


Psalm 30:5
For his anger lasts only a moment but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may remain for the night, but the rejoicing comes in the morning.

I remember when I was a child I couldn’t stand having my mother angry at me. When I did something wrong, I’d do anything to keep her from finding out. I knew there was no way I could ever be forgiven for whatever I’d done wrong. I’d sit in my room, sure she’d never be able to forget about my most recent error, but somehow, she always found a way to forgive me and look past my behavior. She always mad me feel loved and forgiven.
Now, as parent, I know exactly how she did it. Each of my daughters has at some point decided that my walls were a canvas, perfect for their marker masterpieces. Each time, I was frustrated when I discovered my young Van Gough’s artwork. Each time, I found the culprit and discussed the merits of paper vs. drywall. Each time, they ended up serving time in their room, while I spent time smirking as I told my husband about their artistry. My anger faded as I retold the story. Soon, a hug and a kiss replaced the tears and the discipline. I even ended up preserving Maggie’s artistry under our kitchen table with varnish when we refinished the table
This psalm assures us that it is the same with God. He’s not just going to look past our indiscretions. He’s not going to ignore our indifference to our neighbor’s suffering. He’s not going to excuse our time spent on worldly gain rather than glorifying him. Luckily, we are looking for God to forgive our errors rather than excuse them.
Like my anger over the misplaced artistry in our house, God’s anger over our sins is temporary. In fact, he is ready to forgive us as soon as we ask. He wants us to learn a lesson, to be made whole and to come to him for forgiveness. As hard as it is to confess to him, that is the first step to forgiveness. As unlikely as it seems that he will forgive us, that is how great his desire is to heal us. His anger may come and go, but his love will last.

Heavenly Father,
You know that I have made so many mistakes in this life. During these periods of darkness, I doubt that I will ever feel better. Yet, with unfailing grace, you forgive my sins, pulling me into the light. Thank you for the joy that comes with knowing you. Help me to share that grace with those around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment