Sunday, February 22, 2009

How to Save a Life


2 Corinthians 6:3-10
We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

I recently took a CPR training class. Our group sat and listened to the statistics regarding the effectiveness of CPR, the death rates with and without CPR, and so on. Then we moved into practical "how to" advice. During one part, a man in the back raised his hand and expressed a concern about breaking someone's rib during compressions. The instructor acknowledged the possibility of breaking ribs during CPR and then asked, "But consider the alternative." We all laughed, but it's not that funny. The alternative to intervention during a cardiac arrest is death. A broken rib seems a small price to pay.

I went home and that one line stuck with me. See, sometimes I have a hard time inviting people to church, telling them about God's love for them or even talking about my own faith. This is even true with some of my friends. But if I consider sharing my faith a sort of spiritual CPR, then I have to consider the alternative of not intervening. the alternative, right now, is a life without the peace and joy of having a relationship with my savior. It is loneliness in stressful times and waiting for the other shoe to drop during the joyful times. It is a feeling that death is the end. In a world full of adventure and fun at every turn, it is a life of loud laughter and quiet sadness.

For me, that alternative is unacceptable. When I look at my life, I love waking up in the morning and knowing that this day is a gift. I have a house, job, family and friends, not because I am lucky but because I am blessed. And I know who to thank for it.

During stressful times, I have the support of someone who is more powerful than I can even imagine. I have the joy of knowing that when this life is over, there will be no more stress. I have the confidence that God will get me where I need to go, even if he has to carry me. In the midst of stress, I have peace.

I can't know all of this and not share it. If I see a friend struggling without God, my fear of being labeled a "Jesus Freak" needs to be set aside so that they have a chance to feel the powerful arms of God surrounding them. Like a broken rib in CPR, the discomfort is temporary. When I consider the alternative, it is a small price to pay.

Heavenly Father,
We often live in fear of what others think of us and so we avoid talking about you. But we have been given a gift. We have the knowledge of your love and grace that changes lives. Help us to remember that you will give us courage and words to share your love with others.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Amanda this is very good! Thank you for sharing it. I think this blog is such a cool thing.

    ReplyDelete