Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Courage



Isaiah 41:10
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

When I was little, we lived across the street from a park. I was five or six years old and there was a giant slide. It didn’t have any tunnels or railings and the only way to get to the top was up a really, really tall ladder. Or weeks I swore I couldn’t go down that slide. It was tall and it was very scary. Finally, my sister told me that she would go with me and she’d hold my hand all the way. We did it together and pretty soon, I could do it by myself. I just needed a little help t first.

It’s the same for me in life. Sometimes I am faced with things I am not sure I can do. But Jesus tells us that we can do amazing things if we ask him for help. He will be with us, even if we can’t see him. He will make us brave and help us know what to do.

Peter learned this on the boat during a storm. He saw Jesus walking on water and said, “Hey, let m do it too.” So Jesus called him out. Peter boldly stepped out onto the water and walked. Amazing. Only after he realized what was happening did he become afraid. Without faith he sank. However, his faith in Jesus gave him the courage to do the impossible. He walked on water.

I sometimes marvel at the conversations about faith my young daughter has. She shares her love of Jesus with others, unashamed and will complete faith that her friends will love him just as much as her. She openly loves others, without concern for how it makes her look to the world. She bravely witnesses to God’s love, with courage that can only come from God.

Dear Jesus,

You are all powerful and all loving. You have promised us that we can do wonderful things through our faith in you. You will give us courage when we are afraid and strength when we are weak. Help us to answer your call and give us the courage to live the lives you have prepared for us.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment