Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Refined by Fire



This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.' " Zechariah 13:9

When I was a child, my mother brought me to a Renaissance Faire. While we were there, I watched a glass blower making paperweights and trinkets. He would take glass, heat it in the fire and shape it from an unidentifiable blob in to a beautiful and delicate flower, unicorn or teddy bear. I think the wonder of that process was lost on me at the time. But as an adult, I am amazed that a piece of glass, room temperature, bent or forced would crack, break or shatter into a million pieces. However, the glassblower, with gentle hands and burning fire, can tenderly shape the glass into a beautiful creation.

I think we all go through periods of fire. Luckily we, like the glassblower’s glass are not consumed or destroyed by the fire. Instead, we are molded into a new creation. Some of the most difficult times in my life have resulted in the most growth. God realizes that sometimes we need to be pushed to the limit to realize his amazing power.

I was literally refined by fire when I was in college. I was a sophomore, living in the dorms. Early one morning, I woke up to my roommate telling me the bed was on fire. When I finally realized what was going on, I got out of the building with only a burn on my knee.

Later, I realized that smoke detectors had been installed just that summer. Had this happened a year earlier, we wouldn’t have woken up. I wouldn’t be here today.

I realized then, that God had a plan for my life. I don’t know what it is, but I’m sure he’ll guide me along the way. I am trying to live my life according to his plan. It sounds easy, but it’s a daily challenge. I can’t do it alone. I have to rely on God. Sometimes, when I feel like I’ve made the same mistake a million times, I remember that God has a plan. He kept me on this earth for a reason and he won’t bring me home until it’s done. He will equip me for my call, I just have to be ready.

Heavenly Father,
I know that you made me for a reason. Shape me and mold me into the person you dreamed of. I know that this life is not always easy. Help me to remember that your fire is meant to refine rather than consume. You have big plans for me. Give me the wisdom to rely on you.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment