Monday, April 13, 2009

Vernal Ponds


Song of Solomon 2:11-12 See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land.


I recently read an article in the Forest Preserve's newsletter about vernal ponds. In case you are unfamiliar with this amazing habitat (as I was), I will give you a brief synopsis. Vernal ponds are the big pools of water that appear in spring as the result of snow melting, rain falling and the water table rising. I have seen these frequently on my hikes and considered them a nuisance of spring. They prevent me from following the trail I am walking on, provide another reason my kids can't splash and all-around disrupt my lovely encounter with nature. What I didn't realize was how important and intricate they are.
See, in the vernal pond, a huge diversity of life emerges, protected by the fact that the ponds are inconsistent (predators have more trouble finding them). Some species of life can only begin in these quickly fading pools of water. In fact, the balance of life in the larger environment depends greatly on this small nuisance for me. I guess I will not become too upset when I next encounter a standing pool of water.

I think that in my everyday life, there are a lot of vernal ponds. See, I have many things I would love to see just "dry up and disappear." I have spiritual eyesores that I hope no one notices. I struggle through periods of doubt and confusion. I slowly begin to rely on myself to provide for my family, rather than trusting and acknowledging that God is the source of all good things. I wonder how God can allow pain and suffering and challenge him to come down and fix it all, to "prove himself" so to speak.

I want to avoid these tough spots. I want to live a faith filled life, with no struggle or pain. And yet, it is in these painful periods that I learn life's most important lessons. I learn about God's amazing compassion, when I see a friend who is struggling with a child's chronic illness call on God for strength. I see God's incredible forgiveness when I walk away from him, once again and he welcomes me back with open arms. I see God's endless mercy when I take credit for his deeds, and he blesses me just the same.

If I didn't have to face my own vernal ponds, ugly spiritual terrain, I wouldn't learn the beautiful spiritual truths that give me strength and courage in my faith. Just as in the forest preserves near my house, these vernal ponds are teeming with growth. I need to stand in awe and wonder, praising God for the his wisdom and diversity and trusting him to bring out new life once again.

Heavenly Father,
You have thought out every aspect of your creation, both physical and spiritual. You have given us beautiful spring blooms and stagnant vernal ponds. You have given us spiritual highs and lows. Through all of these things, you bring new life. Help us to recognize the growth and potential, rather then focusing on the external appearances. Bring us growth and new life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment