Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Opportunity




Colossians 4:5
Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity.

I love getting to know people. My husband teases me because I talk to everyone. We can be in the parking lot at Target and I’ll see a van with bikes on top. The driver gets out the door and within seconds, I know where they’re headed and how long they plan on staying. That’s just how I am. At every opportunity I meet people.

Paul tells us that we need to take advantage of these opportunities. We are not supposed to isolate ourselves, associating only with other Christians. We are meant to meet, care for and minister to Christians and non Christians alike.

If we spend all of our time with other Christians, we’ll feel good, but we won’t be drawing others toward Christ. In the words of the classic song, This Little Light of Mine:
Hide it under a bushel…
No, I’m gonna let it shine!

We can hide our faith, or let it shine. We don’t have to bombard people with our faith, just glow consistently. I think in imagery and here’s what’s coming at me right now: two fires. One burns so hot, you can barely draw near. The other glows warmly, providing light and inviting others to draw in and feel its warmth. Which on will you sit by?

We burn too strongly when we share God’s word through judgment, hypocrisy and demands for faith. We glow warmly when we serve, give thanks and praise.

What opportunity lies ahead today, to allow you to burn gently, but consistently for Christ?

Lord God,
You provide us with so many opportunities to share your love. Help us to take advantage of those opportunities. Help us to burn for you, drawing others in, rather than pushing them away.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment