Friday, April 10, 2009

Gethsemane

Luke 22:41-44
He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

As a child, I remember standing in the small church I grew up in, looking behind the altar at an amazing painting of a peaceful Jesus, praying, leaning on a stone, with light surrounding his head and a pensive look on his face. I asked, "What is that picture about?" "It's Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane," was the response. I thought about how lucky it was for Jesus that he got to pray there. Obviously, it was a wonderful, peaceful place, and God was right there with him.
As I grew older, and was able to understand the story behind the painting, I began to realize that Jesus's time in the garden was not as peaceful as the painting portrayed it to be. He was pleading with God that he might be spared this suffering. He must have felt so alone. He knew that his best friends on earth were off sleeping and his greatest enemies were drawing nearer. He knew that great pain was ahead of him, for a crime he had never committed. And yet, he prayed, "not my will, but yours be done."
What makes me even more amazed is that Jesus was in this situation, not by his own doing, but by ours. I hate to see friends upset. When they have a small problem, I want to step in and fix it right up. But Jesus was pleading for the solution to a problem I caused. There is nothing I can do to fix it. Actually, he fixed it for me. I realize now what He did for me. It's amazing to think that in his love, God died for me. Aside from that he was afraid. He didn't use superhuman courage, but love. Love for you and love for me. I am full of gratitude for his willingness to do for me what I could never do.
The only appropriate response is to give him praise and live my life serving him and others. This Easter season let's remember the sacrifice and love present in Gethsemane that blessed night.

Holy Jesus,

You, in infinite love, faced fear and confusion. Rejected by your friends and hunted by your enemies, you prayed that things could be different. And yet, you walked into the hands of your accusers and died on the cross, not for your sins, but for mine. Thank you so much for you r love and mercy. Help me to live my life remembering your grace. Help me to show your love to others and praise you in all I do.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment