Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Guidance


Isaiah 42:16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.

I work with children with a variety of disabilities. I have been blessed to see so many changes in young lives. Recently, I have worked with a child who is blind. She was not walking when we started to work together, so I was blessed to see her move from stationary, to crawling, standing, cruising, and finally taking her first steps. Throughout the process, she worked with a team of therapists, one of them specializing in vision therapy.

At one meeting, the vision therapist began to explain to the family what would be involved in the process of this child learning to walk independently. One of the important aspects was balance and guidance. As this child began to walk independently, it was important that she be able to grade where she was using her hands. She would run her hands along the wall gently, not necessarily to hold her up, but just to guide her along the safe path. The family needed to make sure not to move too many things around and to keep her path clear in those first few months, to provide a safe environment for her to walk.

At the time, I thought about how interesting my job is, and how inspired I was by watching the process of walking unfold for this child. It wasn't until a few months later that I made the connections between this little girl's struggle to walk an my struggle to live.

Sometimes, I cruise along in life, feeling like I can handle it all alone. Things feel good. I'm pretty sure I have it covered. Then I bump into something. If I have myself grounded in my faith, I'm okay. Even when I feel like there's no way I can stand, I can brace myself on God and somehow make it through. But in those times I have drifted from God, I fall so much faster. I lose my balance and lose my way. Like my patient's little hand on the wall, my faith in God guides me, even when I can't see him.

In Isaiah, God tells us that though we are blind, he will lead us safely through unfamiliar paths. It is such a blessing to know that he will lead us and not forsake us. On those days when I feel like I cannot put one foot in front of the other, God will guide me. On those days when I can't see the next step on the path, be will lead my feet. I only have to remain standing, and he will lead me home. If I can put one foot in front of the other, he will bring me to his peace.

Heavenly Father,

There are so many times when I cannot see the path in front of me. Lord, help me to walk in faith, rather than by my sight. Give me confidence in my steps and lead me safely to your arms.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment