Thursday, April 16, 2009

Temptation

Romans 7:15
I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve decided that I am going to exercise. The execution looks different each time, but the conviction is the same. I will get up early, I will stay up late, I will start right after work, I will aim for three times a week… You get the idea.

Somehow, I always end up caving and sleeping in, having a snack, talking on the phone or anything else to avoid exercising. At some point, I acknowledge defeat and accept that I have failed once again, feeling weak and small.

I think this is a mild version of what Paul is talking about. We all have something that interferes with our relationship with God. We know what is right and what is wrong. We try to live a good life, forgive, think, “What would Jesus do?” But somehow, we find ourselves gossiping at church coffee hour. We don’t’ even make it out the door before we fall.

Paul reminds us that despite our sinful nature, Christ loves us. He died for us to free us from the power of sin. When we are tempted, we can call on Jesus to walk with us. He knows what it’s like. He’s lived through it. The difference is He was strong enough to resist. He’ll hold our hand and pick us up when we fall. Sometimes, we just need someone to brush us off and tell us to start fresh.

I remember struggling with my thesis in graduate school. I had written three pages and was stuck. I was sure I could get to page four if I just sat long enough. Finally, I went to bed. The next night, I sat down at the computer and thought, where was I going with this? I need to start again. So I erased the file and began typing.

Jesus gives us unlimited opportunities to start again. His grace means that we can have a clean slate. We just need to bring our sins and lay them at
his feet. Our repentance makes us ready, his grace makes us clean. Sometimes a fresh start is all you need.

Lord Jesus,
You have been here. You were tempted and stayed strong. I am weak, but you can make me strong. Wash me clean and give m a fresh start. Walk with me in my struggles. Hold m when I fall. I am sorry for my failures, but confident in your grace. Thank you for the gift of a fresh start.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment